Mobile Antenna Mast Mount
I designed this this mast mount because I wanted to be able to rapidly deploy a mast mounted antenna in a location that didn't have other supports available.
- When not in use fit inside vehicle
- Be able to handle large to small diameter masts
- One person should be able to safely put up mast
- Should not require user to lift mast through top clamp
- Even if collar is loosened, it shouldn't slide down mast
- Should be a no-tools deployment
- Minimize moving parts
- Can open window portion of hatch while mount is in place
To deploy this mast mount:
- Put the bottom collar on the mount first
- Secure the mount in the hitch
- Make sure the bolts are loose on the bottom collar
- Put your antenna on the mast, pulley for wire support, etc.
- Slide the top collar onto the mast
- Place the end of mast on top of the bottom collar
- Hold the smooth side of the collar in your hand, supporting the mast
- Support the mast with your other hand as well.
- Erect the mast keeping the bottom in the mast mount
- As you get near vertical the mast should drop to the ground inside the bottom collar
- Slide the top collar down into it's tab, making sure to orient it properly.
- Tighten down the top collar
- Tighten down the bottom collar
After having practiced with this mast mount, I would likely have the bottom collar welded to the rest of the frame. Although that doesn't lend itself well to transport. So, it's a toss up.
John, AAØZC built the mount for me. If you would like him to build one for you, contact him directly for an estimate.